Monday, March 5, 2012

Painting the Everyday with Pam Ingalls


Pam Ingalls will be teaching a Still Life and Portrait workshop at Whidbey Island Fine Art Studio (WIFAS) in May. Strong color and sound drawing are primary in Pam’s paintings. Her choice of simple subject matter is surprising, sometimes humorous, and always full of emotion.

Read our recent interview with Pam to get a feel for who she is as an artist.


Q: When did your interest in art begin and how long have you been an artist?
A: Both of my parents are artists, so drawing was just a part of our family life. In Junior High I started to get hooked, and I majored in Art at Gonzaga U—where my father was an art professor. I also went to the Accademia in Florence, Italy my junior year. But I didn't really completely decide to give my all to art until I was in my early 30's. 

Q: What do you seek to communicate through your art or your art instruction?
 A: My favorite subject matter is everyday life and everyday people. I hope that people will get a new look at their own surroundings by seeing my version of everyday life. Maybe they'll be inspired to express what they see in their own way. 

 
Q: What drives you as an artist?
A: I'm always striving to get more skill, to paint more fluidly.

Q: What is a recent piece of art you created and what inspired you to paint it?
A: It could be anywhere at all that I get inspired to paint. I was at my friend Sandy's house last summer when I spotted the sink in her loft. I knew I would have to paint the lovely, everyday scene. 
     Also, I've been painting portraits in different small communities that are similar in size to Vashon Island, where I live. One of my favorite portraits from this long-term series was a girl I painted named Josalin in Comalapa, Guatemala. Sort of an imp, she had a wonderful, honest look to her. I couldn't resist painting her!


Q: Do you have a favorite brand of paints, brushes, or canvas that you use?
A: I got hooked on DaVinci paints about 25 years ago because they are so buttery. I'm used to them, so I know just how to mix the colors I want. I use a very limited palette: two reds, a warm yellow, two blues, black, and white. I like soft brushes, and any brand will do for me. I paint on gessoed masonite.

Q: What advice do you have for artists seeking to improve their work?
A: I think making copies of paintings you admire is one of the best ways to improve. With all the access we have from books and the internet, we can learn from almost any artist that's ever lived! It's never been so easy to learn! 


1 comment:

  1. Pam Ingalls is a great artist, she is well known and received also in Italy

    ReplyDelete